Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Universal Design in my Salon



Universal Design should be applied to all buildings! I want to incorporate Universal Design into my salon. I think it is important, I have always assumed individuals who have a disability for most of their life were the only people who benefited from Universal Design. I did not consider those who are aging and and who may temporarily be in a wheel chair (everyone at some point in their life) would benefit from Universal Design. Here is a list of Universal Design elements I want to incorporate into my Salon:

  • ADA bathrooms
  • ADA front desk... you never know when one of your employees will temporarily be in a wheel chair, as well as a client
  • 42" or 48" wide hallways
  • smooth flooring and transitions
  • 36" wide doorways
  • Zero step to entry
  • 18" or 24" high electrical outlets
  • lever style door and faucet handles
  • Rocker style light switch
  • ADA compliant cabinetry, kitchen, and bathroom fixtures
  • Space for a wheel chair at a stylist station
  • multiple counter heights
  • 5' turn around in bathroom, halls, laundry rooms
  • side by side washer and dryer, front load

No comments:

Post a Comment